Thursday, November 25, 2010

The six pack abrazo - an experiment

First of all, I want to address something. Most of my posts can be categorized as follows:
1) complaint about something/someone
2) criticism about something/someone
3) lyrics and translation to a song
In this year end lovey dovey season, for those in the US, I'm just going to say I'm thankful that I found tango, and I'm thankful for all that tango has given me. I complain about things that I believe shouldn't be, and I criticize things that I believe could be done better. And I do it not to be an asshole (because I don't need to try!), but because I genuinely believe many things in tango communities worldwide could be better. blah blah blah
But anyway, I think the tone of the blog, at least my posts, could also be better. So in order to take a bit of a different direction, I'm doing an experiment for the next few months, and who knows if for the rest of my life.
There is a common belief among some people that it is impossible, or at least very difficult, to be in incredible shape and have a comfortable embrace. In other words, apparently a flab in the mid section is necessary for a comfortable cushion... more cushion for the embracing. Often, they cite examples of guys who look out of the 300 movie set starting out tango, and then gradually becoming flabbier for comfort. I believe this is argument is a fallacy. Somebody who is beginning to learn tango, regardless of their shape, will probably not have an ideal embrace. And for the athletically gifted, they'll probably use their physical prowess to attempt to lead something, which can only lead to disaster. Then as they get more drawn into the whole milonguero night lifestyle, they gradually abandon their fitness regime and get a beer belly that some tangueras cherish, as long as it's well hidden under a nicely ironed button-up shirt. But their embrace doesn't become comfortable because their body fat increases; their embrace becomes more comfortable because they become better dancers. Perhaps a spare tire helps, but a ripped body should not be a handicap. So right after I get stuffed tonight for Thanksgiving dinner, I'll start an experiment to get incredibly ripped, and still have a comfortable embrace, which will be verified through pictures and through the opinions of milongueras who dance with me.
On the bigger picture, the outcome of this experiment may shed light unto a sustainable, healthy lifestyle as a milonguero, which nowadays seems to be incompatible. I'll prove this wrong!

6 comments:

  1. You read my mind, I am on the same path to disprove this beer belly theory. This is going to be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome! Maybe we can post pictures of this experiment as data, and increase female readership!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go for it! It certainly is possible. I know several men who are in great shape and have beautiful embraces. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "As they get more drawn into the whole milonguero night lifestyle, they gradually abandon their fitness regime and get a beer belly that some tangueras cherish, as long as it's well hidden under a nicely ironed button-up shirt."

    Hahaha, so true !! We girls call them the "teddy bear dancers", so comfy and usually tender ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pictures coming soon (within the next month, or at least sometime during the summer), along with comments on how the journey has been.

    ReplyDelete